Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Haruhi Vs the AmAzone Saber

I normally don't start with the 4koma comic, but I think this is a good introduction to one of my latest acquisition ^^ Oh oh... don't forget the title...

The Melancholy of Saber Lily Part 38
This has also been posted on The Melancholy of Saber Lily site. For the first panel I had to do 2 photos just because I couldn't make it work with the macro lens when I was standing trying to take a picture of Haruhi shaking in my hand... Saber would've been too blurry. Yes, I know what you're thinking... Haruhi's attacked a 1/3 scale Dollfie Dream before so why would she be afraid here. Well perhaps that Unlimited Span... Saber Works scared her off.

Here's the bigger picture of the last panel. I had to lean Saber to the wall because her armor and the sword are all metal and her flimsy little body can't support it all up. Which makes me wonder how the original Saber handles all that armor...

I was going to use this as the last two panels as one panel instead of the two panels up there. Which one would've been better I wonder?

Here's a better comparison side by side of Saber and Haruhi. Saber is a 1/6 Hybrid Action Figure by Azone. So she's double the size of Haruhi. I was going to have Saber's left hand patting Haruhi's head, but she's much bigger that her hand couldn't reach Haruhi's head!

The obligatory box picture
I saw her back when I was looking to spend 20,000 yen from Tenso at Amazon Japan. If I had bought her back then I would've spend it all on just this one. I'm someone who prefer to spend little money to get many things instead of buying one expensive thing. They both add up to the same thing usually ^^; When I saw Yumyu from Figure.FM was selling his at a lower price than what I saw, I jumped on the chance. This Saber actually arrived in the beginning of June and only now I felt like posting about it, lol.

Here is the whole set. She's got her "Holiday" dress as well. She's brand new and only been taken out of the box once.

She looks great! Lots of metallic parts. Her always smiling face is a bit odd with her armor on though.

Caliburn is all metal and they didn't bother painting the hilt.

Close-up of the chest plate
Even though she is brand new in box, she is not quite new. I thought the plate on her boots can come off, but it's actually the glue that's wearing off.

Her gauntlets are quite heavy and if her hands are just dangling on the side, the metallic gloves will surely fall off her flimsy hands.

I had a MAJOR beef with the chestplate. I realize how different the armor is compared to a more solid PVC figure or perhaps even the DD version of the armor. This one is barely on her chest and only supported by "leather" buckles on the bottom part of the 2 pieces of the front and back torso armor. So if the armor's not on properly, it will dangle like the above picture, giving us a nice view of cleavage.

"Nothing up my sleeve"
And now the gloves are off! Since I said her smiling face doesn't match her armor, I'm going to strip her off her armor one by one :P

This is not a close-up of her armpits, okay? This is to show how the 2 pieces of the torso armor are being held up. There's that leather buckle just underneath her left armpit. I had a hard time trying to put it on properly. Probably why I'm taking her armor off now. The strings on the corset comes off all the time too.

"Miccha dame!"
"Taiho shichauzo!"
Now time to frisk Saber... Err... Just trying to show how her side leg armors are attached. Two buttons keep the corset armor up. Like the picture below.

I love those dangly things that's on her front part of the skirt. That middle part is not even attached to anything. It's held up by the corset & side armor.

Her dress look a bit baggy ^^;
"What smells like boot feet?" - Cookies to who can guess that reference
Her feet are tiny!! No wonder I couldn't stand her up properly. Compare the feet size and the boots! But I guess if they were proper size they won't fit inside.

"Can you velcro the back of my dress?"
Her dress splits open in the back by velcro. Really made it easy to take it off... But I still had to take off her hands from her wrists. Kinda creepy, but it had to be done.

Her underdress. I was posing this as best as I could, but I'm surprised it looked better than what I expected. Very cute Saber ^_^

No... I didn't hit her there ok? That's not a bruise!
Unfortunately since she's always been in the box and she's technically a doll, her neck has been stained by her blue dress.

The back of her neck is also bruis... stained.
She doesn't wear panties... Umm yeah... This white bloomer-like pants is her only lower underwear. This looks a bit strange with this pose when she's smiling like that...

She's not fully detailed, if you catch my drift...
This pair of  panties is actually for her other dress. I put it on her a bit too tight perhaps since she's adjusting it there.

Here she is in that Holiday outfit. Very cute. I had to take off her arms completely off to put on the two piece shirt and blouse.

Cute!
Leaning on the wall.
Her tiny feet and her tiny sandal shoes... I wasn't sure which sandal was right or left since they both look the same...

I love this pose! Even if her feet look really tiny...

Knee pi... Never mind. Knee pits on jointed figures or dolls just don't look right...

Panchira instead?
Frontal panchira!
Hmm... There's still some parts that need to be smoothed out it seems. Maybe I'll sand out that left thigh one day.

She is now in my room sitting on one of my stacks of CDs. I didn't edit this picture much, so you can have fun looking at what's on there and see if you recognize anything :) She looks much cuter in that dress than her armor. At least in this version. I'm kinda glad to get a hold of her, especially as a Saber collector. She'll meet with her onee-chan Rei soon and her imouto later on ;)

An earlier review of Azone 1/6 Hybrid Action Figure Saber is also available on Soth's Blog.

BONUS PICTURES
Inspired by Tony Taka's Saber art.

That's how the lower part of the body look like, okay?? She's not a trap!

19 comments:

  1. Would you look at that! You been holding out on me, sneaking yourself a daughter without telling us! Ehh I suggest you try to do something to get the blue stain off, is she made out of vinyl? If so, pimple cream should work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow~! Congrats on getting Ama-- I mean... Azone Saber~! :3 I definitely agree that she looks cuter in her casual clothes than in her armor... ^^ actually, I've taken a liking to her wearing her underdress too ^^; it looks like a pretty summer dress :3

    Hope to see her in future 4komas XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know Saber got Azone treatment too, she's really nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Wolfheinrich: I am very, very sure I told you about me having a 1/6 Azone Saber to you at AX ^^; But yes, I have been quite secretive about this one. I'm not sure what material it is. If it's vinyl then it's the soft kind. I am gonna try a pimple cream and see if it works.

    @ninjovee: Hehe I do like that wordplay with Amazon and Azone ^_^ Hmm yes, that underdress looks quite cute as well. Very light looking. Maybe I'll go do a photoshoot with that one outdoors :D

    LoL she's a bit too big for some of the panels and she is limited to one face, but if I can come up with a nice storyline then she'll be in it again ^_^

    @Yamada: She actually has two versions made by Azone. This one and another with actual hair and not molded plastic. The face doesn't look as good though, so I opted for this one. The other one has her casual outfit >.<

    ReplyDelete
  5. So at the end you too bought an Azone Saber.
    Nice review and nice photos, seeing my old review and comparing it with yours I realize how much I suck at taking pictures T_T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice, seems Azone dolls looks cool ,but i wonder...No one can beat RAH (Real Action Heroes) dolls from bandai ^Y^

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Soth: I didn't really have any setup for my photos lol. I just wanted to get some photos out ^^; Your review was much more detailed than mine. Heh, I did say I wasn't going to get it, didn't I? but 1/6 isn't too much space compared to a 1/3 scale. Methinks I need to get a stand like yours.

    @Anon: Hmm indeed. I kinda like RAH too just because they seem to be sturdier than Azone. RAH is bigger in size too even though both of them are 1/6 scale. Azone has cute faces though ^^;

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for purchasing the doll! Glad to hear that you like it ^^

    ReplyDelete
  9. @trixoptics: Thanks for letting me have her ^o^

    ReplyDelete
  10. "I want a cookie!"
    That's what Fry should have said to Leela :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. @mh: Guess you can have a real cookie XD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saber's head seems small when used on that body. I'm guessing that this is actually an Azone/Obitsu 27cm body? I think that you might want to try swapping her head out onto the 25cm body, or something. Partly because Saber's supposed to be fairly short, and partly because the head makes her body look off; i.e. shoulders seem too wide, neck too long.

    I just feel the figure looks totally off when wearing anything other than her armored form costume.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Wavehawk: I noticed that her neck is quite long for this one. It really is made just for her armored clothes. I'll think about getting another body for her. Thanks for the detailed comment! I learned quite a bit just from that! It's also because she's supposedly not a doll right because of that molded head & hair.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She look really big in that comic and in those shots with Haruhi. Anyways, Saber's lovely. I love her in her underdress. She looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Yi: Yup, I was going for that humongous overtowering size kind of shot with Haruhi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Man! Hwere can I buy one?!?!
    I Love This cute girl!!!
    Waiting Answer!!
    Thanks, James.
    thiago_theater666@hotmail.com
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @James: You'd have to look up Mandarake or Amazon Japan or use a proxy to find her. Hard to find outside of Japan ^^;

    ReplyDelete
  18. you can find a far superior modern 27cm OBITSU body for her on the BAY for a little under $40USD.

    here is what i recommend; your choice of cup size;

    SMALL bust type;

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Obitsu-27cm-Female-Figure-Doll-1-6-Body-Soft-Bust-Small-SBH-S-White-Skin-Color-/290637612406?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ab5a0576

    MEDIUM bust type;

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Obitsu-27cm-Figure-1-6-Doll-Female-Body-Soft-Bust-Medium-SBH-M-White-Skin-Color-/120817788507?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c214d265b

    LARGE bust type;

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Obitsu-27cm-Figure-1-6-dollfie-Doll-Body-Soft-Bust-Large-SBH-L-White-SKin-Color-/300627488903?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fecb7087

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the links Master Tasuke! I'm kinda hoping to find a shorter body, but then the clothes might not fit, lol.

    ReplyDelete